Micrographia: Historic Microscope Images Coloring Book (Historic Images #1) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Historic Images series.
- #2: Another World (Un Autre Monde) Coloring Book: Illustrations from J J Grandville's 1844 surrealist classic (Historic Images #2) (Paperback): $9.95
- #4: Fairy Coloring Book: Art Nouveau Illustrations by Henry Justice Ford (Historic Images #4) (Paperback): $9.95
- #5: Mermaids Coloring Book: Mermaids, Sirens, Nymphs, Sprites, and Nixies (Historic Images #5) (Paperback): $9.95
- #6: Justice Men Coloring Book: The Princes, Giants, Knights, Heroes, and Swains of Henry Justice Ford (Historic Images #6) (Paperback): $9.95
- #7: Gentle Ghosts Coloring Book: Robert Anning Bell's illustrations of the poems of Percy Bysshe Shelley (Historic Images #7) (Paperback): $9.95
- #8: An Imagined Shore: Robert Anning Bell's illustrations of the poems of Percy Bysshe Shelley (Historic Images #8) (Paperback): $9.95
- #9: The Aubrey Beardsley Coloring Book: Elegant Black and White Art Nouveau Illustrations from Victorian London (Historic Images #9) (Paperback): $9.95
- #10: The W.T. Horton Coloring Book: Elegant Art Nouveau Images from the Favorite Artist of W.B. Yeats (Historic Images #10) (Paperback): $9.95
- #12: The Tale of Peter Rabbit Coloring Book: Beatrix Potter's Original Illustrations from the Classic Children's Story (Historic Images #12) (Paperback): $9.95
Robert Hooke (1635-1703) is somewhat obscure today, due in part to the enmity of his famous, influential, and extremely vindictive colleague, Sir Isaac Newton. Yet Hooke was perhaps the single greatest experimental scientist of the seventeenth century. His reputation in the history of biology largely rests on his book Micrographia, published in 1665. Using his compound microscope and illumination system, he observed organisms as diverse's insects, sponges, bryozoans, foraminifera, and bird feathers. Micrographia was an accurate and detailed record of his observations, illustrated with magnificent drawings.
This 8.5 x 11 inch coloring book contains every plate from Micrographia in high resolution. Each illustration is printed on one side of the page, with a brief quote from Micrographia and room for notes on the other side.
(Thanks to Ben Waggoner http: //www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/hooke.html)