The Burning (Kate Burkholder #16) (CD-Audio)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 16 in the Kate Burkholder series.
- #1: Sworn to Silence: The First Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $12.00
- #2: Pray for Silence: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: Breaking Silence: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $19.00
- #4: Gone Missing: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $24.99
- #5: Her Last Breath: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $19.00
- #6: The Dead Will Tell: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $10.99
- #7: After the Storm: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $10.99
- #8: Among the Wicked: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $10.99
- #9: Down a Dark Road: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $11.99
- #10: A Gathering of Secrets: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $10.99
- #11: Shamed: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #11) (Paperback): $16.99
- #12: Outsider: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #12) (Paperback): $18.99
- #13: Fallen: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #13) (Paperback): $17.99
- #14: The Hidden One: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #14) (Paperback): $18.00
- #15: An Evil Heart: A Novel (Kate Burkholder #15) (CD-Audio): $39.99
Chief of Police Kate Burkholder investigates a gruesome murder that reveals a little-known chapter of early Amish history in this new installment of the bestselling series by Linda Castillo.
Newlywed Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is awakened by an urgent midnight call summoning her to a suspicious fire in the woods. When she arrives at the scene, she discovers a charred body. According to the coroner, the deceased, an Amish man named Milan Swanz, was chained to a stake and burned alive. It is an appalling and eerily symbolic crime against an upstanding husband and father.
Kate knows all too well that the Amish prefer to handle their problems without interference from the outside world, and no one will speak about the murdered man. From what she’s able to piece together, Swanz led a deeply troubled life and had recently been excommunicated. But if that’s the case, why are the Amish so reluctant to talk about him? Are they protecting the memory of one of their own? Or are they afraid of something they dare not share?
When her own brother is implicated in the case, Kate finds herself not only at odds with the Amish, the world of which she was once a part, but also the English community and her counterparts in law enforcement. The investigation takes a violent turn when Kate’s life is threatened by a mysterious stranger.
To uncover the truth about the death of Milan Swanz, Kate must dive deep into the Anabaptist culture, peering into all the dark corners of its history, only to uncover a secret legacy that shatters everything she thought she knew about the Amish themselves—and her own roots.
About the Author
Linda Castillo is the author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Kate Burkholder series, set in the world of the Amish. The first book, Sworn to Silence, was adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder. Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards including a nomination by the International Thriller Writers for Best Hardcover, the Mystery Writers of America’s Sue Grafton Memorial Award, and an appearance on the Boston Globe’s shortlist for best crime novel. In addition to writing, Castillo’s other passion is horses. She lives in Texas with her husband and is currently at work on her next book.
Kathleen McInerney has narrated numerous audiobooks by bestselling authors such as Emily Giffin, Danielle Steel, Jeffrey Stepakoff, Mary Kay Andrews, and Linda Castillo. Her narration of Just One Day by Gayle Forman won an AudioFile Earphones Award. In reviewing Mary Kay Andrew’s Ladies’ Night, AudioFile magazine said, “McInerney makes each of the characters distinct and recognizable and gives each the perfect voice, accent, and vocal mannerisms. Most enjoyable and well performed.”
She has appeared onstage in New York and around the United States in both classical and contemporary theater. Her credits also include television commercials, daytime drama, radio plays, and animation voice-overs.